Thursday, September 18, 2008

Psycho (1960)

I spotted Hitchcock's cameo early in the film as he stood on a corner outside a window.

I appreciated this more than I did when I was ten and enamored with the Scream movies, but I still didn't think it was great. There were plenty of times when plot was advanced by awkward dialogue (while the protagonist was driving, at the end when the psychiatrist explained Norman Bates' complete sordid history and psychosis) and the tense music was over the top and unnecessary.

The actor who played Norman did a great job with a wide range. He believably portrayed everything from warmth and an inviting nature to slightly off to creepy and off putting.

I ended up losing a dollar bet when the private investigator died. Parents, please reimburse me. It's a college expense, just like any other.

No comments: