Monday, September 22, 2008

"How many times do we live? How many times do we die?"

Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2003

Holy shit. Just like Amores Perros, this one just beats the living shit out of you. Then it does it again.
The first time I saw a movie with the story shown out of order was when I first saw Pulp Fiction sometime in my early teens. Since then I've seen it quite a few times more. I feel like Iñárritu's films (with Guillermo Arriaga's writing) do the best job of it.
At the beginning of this one I had no clue what was going on, where the story was headed or what the point of any of the short scenelets I saw were. Right when I was at the point of utter frustration, the focus began to linger just a bit longer and things began to coalesce at such a pace that just enough was revealed to lure you in and make you want to beg for that next little tidbit.

I love movies that beat the living shit out of you. Honestly, what's the point of seeing something if it doesn't move you?

image courtesy of moldova.org

No comments: