Saturday, September 27, 2008

Children of Men

Children of Men
Alfonso Cuarón, 2006

I have a lot of trouble getting into dystopian movie and books. Somehow the archetype is specific enough that they all seem like clones to me. Thus, I struggled to engage with this movie at the beginning. I enjoyed seeing Michael Caine as an aged hippie, though.
Feelings about the story aside, this movie is amazing. The choreography involved had to have been the product of months of preparation, practice and tenacious will. Long, uncut shots in which a host of action was shown in immersive ways played a key role in setting this film apart from any other I've seen.
I do have to give the story credit as it teased the audience with "Hollywood Saccharine," but flipped a 180 as soon as the audience accepts it.

I watched this one right after watching I Am Legend. That one sucked me in right away, but let me down a bit in the ending. This one took a while on the uptake, but left a much better taste in my mouth.

Image Courtesy of The New Republic.

No comments: