Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Vegetable plants, pizza plants... it's good to be home!"


Wall-E
Andrew Stanton, 2008

Pixar's films are always visually stunning, and Wall-E was no exception. However, the visuals were not enough to save the movie for me. I felt the movie dragged on much too long in introductions before any sort of conflict was introduced. Later on, it seemed to me the film didn't know what it wanted to be about. There was the love story between EVE and Wall-E, the cautionary commentary on laziness and technological dependence as well as the conflict between AUTO and the captain. All of these had the potential to cohabit the plot harmoniously, but it seemed like none of them stood out as the primary subject.
Relationships with subordinate characters didn't gel for me. While M-O was entertaining enough, the immediate impression Wall-E and EVE left upon anyone they came in contact with seemed too automatic.
The movie wasn't bad by any means. The little girl sitting in front of me at the theater really seemed to enjoyed it. I just think Pixar is getting shining reviews by default due to their reputation.

No comments: